Anyone caravanning down?
When?
Driving I-5, I-205, then east?
Let's get a discussion going
Best
MSH

Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
Jerry

Anything but I-5 and I-84 (ugh). Probably the same route to Portlandia as we've used in the past for the ABFM except turning eastbound on hwy 14, crossing the river to Hood River at White Salmon.
OR
A longer route is south on back roads to intersect hwy 12, then east to White Pass /Yakima/ hwy 97/Goldendale, Hwy 142 to Lyle. Hwy 14 west to White Salmon.
OR
410 over Chinook Pass then east to Yakima/hwy 97/Goldendale. Hwy 142 to Lyle. Hwy 14 west to White Salmon.
OR
NFD 25-Never mind on this road. I talked to the Ranger station in Randle today and its still closed, probably wont open 'til late June. Just as well. The last time I drove it I felt lucky not to have damaged the suspension. Its that frost heaved, clearly more suited for Forest Service trucks.

Last edited by Jerry : 06-06-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: route change.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Jerry

Any thoughts??

Old 06-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #4
DaveStew
the new guy

Jerry, your report on NFD 25 shoots a hole in my plan. Was the whole thing bad or just sections?

I'd ridden parts of it on a dual sport motorcycle years ago. I remember having to zig zag a lot around things between the Windy Ridge turn off and Randle. I don't remember it being bad further south but I have not seen the whole thing.

An idea for a variation on the 97 route. Around 15-20 years ago my wife and I drove Highway 142 between Goldendale and Lyle. (I think) If I'm remembering correctly it's a pretty good one for turns and elevation change. Runs down a river valley and many more curves than 97. We were in a Subaru Forester. Google shows it's 10 min longer than taking 97 to 14.

How's the "normal route to Portlandia" go generally? Staying in the I-5 corridor on side roads?

Dave

Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Jerry

The normal route to Portlandia flows south pretty much on the eastern side of I-5 (or if you're from California, THE I-5). Hwy 507 through Roy, McKenna, Centrailia and Castle Rock. I had forgotten about Hwy 142. Dan and I drove it a couple of years ago from Goldendale to Lyle and its a great road for a mini, no traffic and as you said elevation changes and curves. Consider that portion of the route changed. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Jerry : 06-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Bertam
Just one of the regulars

I grew up in LA (SoCal) and we always seemed to refer to it simply as "5" as-in: "We're taking 5 north to Gorman and then heading east on 138".

Has NF-23 (that ends up at Trout Lake & Hwy 141) ever been driven by any of you?
Bertam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
minied
Senior moment member

I believe we tried "the" 23 many years ago, several miles into the forest the road was closed. No advance warning. Very dusty and bumpy on the way in and the way out.

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O
minied is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
BIGSHOT
Runnin' with the herd

NF-23 over Babyshoe Pass is gravel for much of the way.

I won't be going to Hood River, but if I was, here's the route I'd consider: Hwy 203 north through Duvall, then east on Ben Howard Road to Sultan. Turn right onto Hwy 2, cross Stevens Pass, maybe have lunch in Leavenworth. Just past Peshastin turn right onto Hwy 97, climb over Blewett Pass and continue on to Ellensburg. Take Canyon Rd south through Selah (maybe have lunch there; Jerry knows a great place) and connect up with Hwy 82 just above Yakima. Stay on 82 through Union Gap and get off on Exit 50. You could take a side trip to visit the Church of God, Zillah, or you could immediately head south on 97, over Satus Pass to Goldendale. Get off at Goldendale and cut west on Hwy 142 and follow the Klickitat Canyon as it bends south to Lyle. Turn right at Lyle onto Hwy 14 and follow it for a few miles to the toll bridge to Hood River.

In less than a day, you've crossed three beautiful mountain passes and wound down two of the most entertaining river valleys in the state. And you've traveled minimal freeway miles on the trip (Hwy 82). Your Mini will thank you.

If this trip sounds daunting, you can drive over Chinook Pass (a gorgeous Mini drive if you leave early enough to avoid traffic) and still see Hwy 97, Satus Pass (not a real dramatic pass, but a scenic drive) and the Klickitat Canyon (a bucket-list Mini cruise, just watch out for deer and turkeys).

Dan
BIGSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Canine

Default I'm going but trailering.....

Yes it's come to this.

Bringing my car to MMW on a trailer mostly because I don't trust my restraint on the hillclimb.

Cheers

Greg

Canine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Mark

Wow! Your car looks the biz, Greg!
Yeah, on the hill climb, it does give one pause.....
Best,
MSH